Saturday, April 7, 2012

Old Lady

Jonathan and I arrived at church early today. As we sat and waited for
people to come so we could start church I noticed an old lady sitting
next to her hut. She looked like she was eating. I believe I felt
impressed by the Holy Spirit that I should go and visit her. Why not?
I'm just sitting here not accomplishing much. I continued to watch her
at a distance and waited until it looked like she had finished eating. I
didn't want to interrupt her.

This old lady lives very close to the church. When sitting on the
benches at church we can see right into her yard yet it is a little ways
away. As soon as she got up and started walking around I got up and
walked over to see her. "What shall I say to her? She doesn't understand
French," I thought. We shook hands and said, "Lopia, Lopia" several
times. I repeated after her as she spoke some more Nangere words that I
didn't understand but she seemed to be happy that at least I was saying
something in her language. The old lady pointed at the pile of bricks
that are being made for the church. Then I pointed at the bricks too and
said, "Brick". She said, "Brick." "Good" I thought, "at least she knows
the word for brick in French." I tried to tell her in French that the
bricks were being made for the church but of course she didn't understand.

Next I tried to talk to her about the mangoes. This time of year
everyone is eating mangoes because there are mangoes everywhere.
Pointing at the mango tree I said, "Mango, you eat lots of mangoes." and
I motioned with my hands putting my hands to my mouth. I was trying to
talk to her about how everyone is eating mangoes and she must be eating
a lot too. To my surprise she started saying many words that I didn't
understand and then she disappeared behind her succo wall close to her
hut. Then the thought hit me. "Oh, no, she thinks I'm asking her to give
me some mangoes!" Sure enough, a minute lady she came out with three
green mangoes while washing them in some dirty water. I tried to explain
to her that I wasn't asking for mangoes but seeing this was impossible
to communicate, since she basically doesn't know a word of French, I
took them with thanks. I said, "Merci beaucoup (thank you a lot), merci
beaucoup." and she repeated after me, "Merci beaucoup, merci beaucoup."
Repeating after each other was one of the only ways to find words to say!

Then pointing at the church I tried to convince her that I wanted her to
come to church. After a little bit she disappeared behind her succo
again and then appeared again this time with a stick in hand as to say,
"I'm ready to go now!" I walked slowly with her following me toward the
church but about half way there she hesitated. She pointed at her dirty
old shirt and then at my dress which I'm sure she thought was very
beautiful. "Ca va, ca, va" I said, meaning it is just fine; she can come
to church even if she doesn't have nice clothes on. At the church she
shook everyones hands but then immediately turned to leave. I was
disappointed. I wanted her to stay and enjoy church with us. Quickly
pulling a nature picture book out I motioned for her to sit down and
look at pictures with me. She did and seemed to enjoy it for a short
while but she was eager to leave so after about 4 or 5 pictures she got
up and walked back home.

Next week I plan to bring her a new shirt and give it to her. I hope
that this will help her see that we care about her and hopefully she
will then feel comfortable coming to church in her new shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment