Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Sweeper lady

Sweeper lady is what we call her. Her name is Martha, and she comes to
our house almost every day to haul water for us and to sweep our yard.
She is one of many single moms whose husbands have left on an
"adventure." We give her a little money for the help she gives us.

When we arrived in Chad again about a week ago, she greeted us with
smiles and was so glad to see us back again. Strangely, she shook my
hand with her left hand. That would normally be considered rude in this
culture. Looking toward her right hand, I saw that it was wrapped up in
a piece of cloth.

"What's the problem with your hand?" I asked. She unwrapped it to reveal
a very infected and swollen thumb.

"How long has it been this way?" I ask. "About two weeks," she replies.
"What have you done to treat it?" I ask. "I found $1.50 and went to the
market and they gave me an injection and some pills. Now I don't have
the money for another injection," she replies in a hopeless tone.

Now she will just wait. If her thumb gets better, that is nice. If it
gets worse, well, too bad. She may have to amputate the thumb or hand if
it gets bad enough. She feels there is nothing else to do but wait and see.

I told her that I would be willing to help her if she was willing to
follow instructions faithfully. I showed her how to do hot and cool
water therapy and then how to prepare and apply a charcoal poultice. I
instructed her to repeat the procedure five times a day. Then she went home.

A couple of days later when she returned to sweep our yard, I asked her
how her thumb was. She had a large grin on her face and said, "It's a
little better now." Clearly, the swelling had diminished and the
situation looked better.

"It is God's power that is healing your hand. You keep doing your part,
and I believe He will continue healing your hand," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment