Monday, June 4, 2012

Smoking Taxi Man

On our way back from Moundu, the man driving the car started smoking.
Here is a summary of our conversation.

"My brother," I speak to him, "is smoking good for your health?"

"No," he nervously chuckles. Then he chucks his newly lit, unfinished
cigarette out the window.

I say, "My grandmother died early due to her smoking habit."

"Yes, and me too. I will probably die young," he said.

"Then why do you smoke?" I asked. "You are paying the cigarette company
to kill you."

"I've tried and tried to quit many times. I have a bad cough, and I am
sick inside. I do not really eat much anymore. I just smoke. I really
want to quit..." He shakes his finger and his head and clicks his
tongue, obviously quite discouraged. "No, no, no. But it doesn't work. I
can't."

"If I could invite you to a program to help you stop smoking, would you
be interested?"

His countenance turned from discouragement to expectant hope and he
said, "Yes, yes. I really want to stop."

"Stopping is difficult. You might feel like you will nearly die, and the
struggle might be hard, but it is possible. I'll contact you sometime
soon with more details." We exchanged phone numbers.

I've never taught a stop-smoking class. I've never smoked. But we have
an opening to help this man. And we can point him to One who has more
than enough power to help him stop smoking and return to a more
healthful life. Please pray for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment