Sunday, March 18, 2012

Dental Work and Health Talks

Lately I have been more involved with medical work. I have decided to go
to the hospital every Monday morning to listen to the consultations in
the ER. This will help me learn more French and learn more about the
diseases in Chad. It is quite a challenge sometimes though. Only a third
of the time are they even speaking French and often the patients mumble
the words out. I can hardly make out what they are saying sometimes. But
it's good for me and I am slowly learning.

Around 12:15pm I leave and eat lunch, do a few things around the house
and then I'm off again. I'm doing a charcoal health talk every week.
Each week I do it in a different location. A bunch of the SM's at the
hospital have decided to help on a project called, "Project 21". Monday
through Thursday every week we are teaching basic health to the locals.
I have decided to help with this project so my health talk on Monday's
is just one of many health talks that are being presented.

On Wednesday mornings every week we (Project 21) offer free dental
service. I'm helping with this also. 15 or more locals come each
Wednesday to get their teeth pulled. I'm not a dentist of course but
back in December 2009 a dentist trained me how to pull teeth and so I'm
happy to have this opportunity to get comfortable doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment