Saturday, March 3, 2012

RIP Ella

Ella has been sick for several weeks now. She is the baby "sister" of
Matt, one of our SMs. The baby was perhaps about a year old and has been
somewhat malnourished, and came down with malaria and other issues. She
was at the hospital for a long time until the doctor said, "There's
nothing more we can do. Just take her home." Soon thereafter, she died.

Pierre came to find me, but I was out working at the Nutrition Center.
When I came back, I heard the news. "Ella is dead." I finish up a few
things and head over to Pierre's house. Melody is still not well enough
to accompany me, so remains behind to rest.

Upon arrival, I see the usual groups of men and women wailing and
carrying on. The women are all surrounding the little body of Ella on a
big mat. I join Matthew and Pierre on another mat and say a few words. A
little later Ella's uncle returns from a trip to the market with a small
plastic bag. He kneels down in front of Ella and unfolds a white cloth
which which he covers her. Then he breaks down and weeps.

Several people dig a small hole. It is next to another tiny grave.

I go get Noel and we do a short funeral service. Pierre speaks a few words.

Then the wailing picks up again as the little body is carried just about
ten meters to the hole. They sprinkle some perfume on her, cover her
with a piece of a mat and fill the hole back in. The mound is rounded
and covered with bricks. Then they wash hands and pour the water over
the top of the new grave.

It all seems like a routine now. Another death. Another funeral. Another
person who escapes further suffering and hardship to await Jesus' soon
return in peace.

Some people morn and wail hopelessly as if this was the final time they
will see Ella. The depth of others seems to be more shallow - as if they
know that this is not the final end. There is hope and life beyond the
grave.

I can hardly wait for Jesus to return. I must be faithful to share Jesus
with as many people as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment