Monday, March 12, 2012

Wednesday Tourne

This morning I was served a breakfast with the group. They had rice and
sauce "with eyes" and I had my own little dish of seasoned rice "without
eyes." I was grateful for this meal. The rice was seasoned nicely with
onion and tomato.

I found a tub of half-icky water in the room where we bathed, so I got
my water filter and filled my bottles for the day. I am so grateful for
this little water filter.

The pickup truck for the local government officials arrived and we piled
in. After a quick stop to say hi to the government people, we were off
to the airstrip, maybe 5 kilometers distant. As I did preflight and
verified fuel and oil and security of various components, my passengers
were getting a little impatient about how long this process was taking.
I assured them that this option was better than dying in the bush after
a crash, and they calmed down.

I tried to contact base on the radio, but got no response. I try to
contact the people at our next destination, but no response. Cell phones
aren't working for now. So I take off anyway and head to Tchaguine. We
make good time with tailwinds and find the strip nicely cleared, but a
bit sandy.

While the doctor and pastor do their activities, I walk the runway and
get the GPS point for a newly erected cell tower near the runway. Then I
spend a pleasant few hours with a missionary couple based here. They
show me their solar-powered radio station and their house, designed to
catch and funnel cooling wind from any direction into the central living
area. We share a meal of local beans and rice and then head back to the
airplane.

Now we are bound for Bere, where my wife is eagerly waiting for me. It
was really good to get back home and eat a home-cooked meal. Melody and
I fuel the plane in preparation for tomorrow's travels, then crawl into
bed for some well-needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment