Sunday, January 26, 2014

Eyes Upon Me from All Directions

It's time to get a malaria test done Jonathan and I both decide. I've
had fevers since Thursday and today they are higher instead of lower.
Around 11am, with my temperature 102.6F, I strap Gideon on to me
securely and get on the motorcycle. I feel weak but don't have any other
choice but to carry Gideon since Jonathan is driving and it's safer to
have Gideon between us.

At the hospital I sit down on a bench outside while Jonathan goes to get
the paper slip used to order tests. Gideon is still strapped to me and
content. After sitting down my eyes scan my surroundings and I quickly
realize I'm being stared at from practically all directions. There's a
group of ladies huddled together way over by peds that have stopped
everything to stare at me with big grins. And than there's some men
sitting outside the emergency room looking straight at me. Under the
mango tree in front of me a few ladies look my way. Just 50 feet from me
a Arab lady gives me a big smile. Some men look at me as they walk by.
Yes, lots of eyes were upon me. "Not so great" I think to myself. "But
that's what I get for being a white lady with a white baby." Now that I
have a baby I get a lot more stares than I ever did before.

But looking at the positive side, I've added joy to their day by coming
here. I see several smiles and that's a lot better than what it could be.

I get my finger poked and blood taken and head back home. Now my fever
is 103.5. It's hard to be sick in Chad but I have felt a lot worse
before. The test came back negative. Good! That probably means I don't
have malaria. Thank you God!

No comments:

Post a Comment