Thursday, January 30, 2014

Solar mp3 story: Joel

Joel recently approached me with his request that I would teach him
English. I agreed to help him with English if he would help me with
Nangjere, the local language here. So we have started meeting once or
twice a week to do some language study together.

Tuesday afternoon is one of our normal meeting times. Last Tuesday he
came to inform me that he would not be doing language study that day.
His small child had died. We talked for a short time before he returned
home.

On Wednesday I went to visit his home, though he did not know that I was
coming. In African culture, it is good to go and sit for a while with
the family of whoever died. For us, it is an opportunity to connect with
them and to show that we care. As I walked up to the mat in the shade of
a large Neem tree, I heard the audio Bible playing. Three or four ladies
had come to visit Joel and his family, and they were all sitting around
the mp3 player on the mat.

I greeted the others, then approached the father and mother. With bowed
head and in silence, I squeeze their hands--first that of one parent and
then the other. Nothing is said for a half a minute or so. We grieve
together. Then, we squeeze hands again.

That part of the ritual finished, Joel starts a conversation that
quickly turns to spiritual topics. The audio Bible is playing
continually. He starts asking questions about some of the verses he has
heard. Some of the ladies are interested in the questions too. A simple
visit turned into an opportunity to share the Word of God.

The Bible was still playing as I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment